Wednesday, December 15, 2004

The last mile in technology ...

Dear tech-God ... I pray to you, please make things work the way it should - you know how I am when things don't work. I get that I-want-to-kill-someone feeling.

5 hours ago ...

A friend recommended that I should start consolidating my online life - at this stage, even I will have to admit that my fragmented brain could do with some de-fragmentation and I thought my multiple online "profiles" namely, 5 equally active email addresses, 6 IM IDs, a few blogs site, another several online sites ... etc. Running multiple PCs with a mix of Windows and MAC OSes is also not good ... So, as a starting point, I thought ... let's do email - this friend of mine was good enough to point out to me that IMAP is a good solution of keeping my email on Windows and Mac sync-ed ... after several hours of testing I finally managed to get sync-ed mail on both my Windows and Mac clients, namely, Outlook and Apple Mail. There was a moment of great relief and belief, I was even thinking of consolidating past email archives on Outlook, Outlook express and Lotus Notes ... some 5 GB of stuff ...

As the sync-ing of mail was happening on the MAC within Apple Mail, it suddenly appears to me that all the mail that was pushed to the IMAP server from the Windows looks somewhat funny ... upon further checks, I found that the attachments are all named winmail.dat ... I thought - Oh... no ... this is pretty FUBAR-ed - on checking with Outlook, the same is observed as well ... the attachments are all renamed as winmail.dat ...

Had I only have 50 mails ... I won't be jumping up and down ... when you moved several thousands docs ... that's a totally different story ...

No comments: